Domain names are more than just digital addresses, to many people they are brands or at least the beginning of a brand. While we could debate the importance of .COM until we are blue in the face the fact of the matter is that people are doing amazing things on all kinds of domain names. Like many of you, the events in Boston on Monday have deeply saddened me in a number of ways. It has been painful to watch the news and hear about parents losing an eight year-old child waiting for his Dad at the finish line. In a world that seems to have modernized and made so much progress it is so disappointing to see terrible things like this happen. Events like these make me sad, make me angry, and at the same time show me how much good is in so many people as the stories keep coming in about the incredible people who came together to help just moments after this terrible event took place.
It also made me think about what I was doing to make a difference in the world and how we can all make a bigger impact. So a couple ideas have been floating around in my head and I thought I would share them with all of you to get feedback and see which one(s) might make sense. Right now, as many of you know, my days (and nights) are spent on Fashion Metric but I do want to do something every day, even if it’s just 15 minutes a day, to help the world. If I can do this through my blog, through my domains, and through our community, maybe we can all make the world a better place. Here are some of my ideas and as always I’d love your feedback or your own ideas as well:
- Domains for Charity – monthly charity domain auction
- Charity Parking Platform – a parking platform that gives some or all of its proceeds to charity
- Charity Landers – landing pages that can still promote buyers putting in an offer, but can feature a background/images and information about a charity
- Charity Domain Conference – an event where the sponsors cover the cost of the venue, food, etc. and all fees charged to attendees goes to charity
- Charity Domain Sales – a sales platform where the bidders are charities and the sellers get a tax credit rather than a cash payment
I feel incredibly fortunate to have had the success I have had in this industry and after giving to incredible charities like The Water School I want to do more, and I want to inspire more Domain Investors to do more. Please let me know if any of the ideas above sound like something you would support or feel free to share your own ideas. I am only one person but together we can all make an incredible difference!
Latest posts by Morgan (see all)
- Breaking: The Register – Building your site on a new gTLD may provide SEO benefits - October 23, 2014
- Can someone tell me what .OOO was thinking? - October 21, 2014
- Smart Luggage Is (Almost) Here Thanks To Bluesmart - October 20, 2014