Expired Domain EN.ORG Already Up To $17,005 on Go Daddy

Many of us have stories of the one (or two, or three) that got away. That domain name that you dropped only to see sell for big bucks a year or two later. Of course there are also plenty of people who aren’t domain geeks like us that haven’t kept track of their domains in ages so don’t even know what’s expiring…or what their expiring domain is selling for on the open market. Right now that is taking place over at Go Daddy auctions as the two-letter domain, EN.ORG has exceeded $17,000 with 75 bids and just under three days to go.

en_org_auction

The domain was originally registered in August of 1995 so the domain is now over 17 years old. As investors this will be an interesting one for us to watch as I can’t say I have my finger on the pulse of what 2L .ORG’s typically go for. Heck, it’s hard to beat a 2L domain, they are incredibly short and easy to remember, still spending this kind of dough on a .ORG would make me think a lot about how much traffic I’m going to lose to the .COM and what kind of a brand I could build on a 2L .ORG domain.

What do you think? Is this name still a steal of a deal or are bidders getting 2L crazy? Comment and let your voice be heard!

{ 10 comments… add one }

  • Anticareer.com September 11, 2012, 11:31 am

    AB.org sold on Namejet for $10k (give or take) and of.org sold for $7,600 on Namejet. The GoDaddy auction is overpriced. Would not be surprised to see this be a non-paying bidder.

    Here’s a good question, what happens when someone does not pay on GoDaddy. I never see domain names reauctioned there and I’d have to guess that there are non-paying bidders.

    Reply
  • Jacob September 11, 2012, 11:46 am

    I don’t have the money to buy high dollar domains like this, but that still seems like a steal to me. If you have the money to drop $20k on a domain name, you have the money to wait around for a good offer (IMO).

    Reply
  • Morgan September 11, 2012, 12:10 pm

    @Anticareer.com – that’s a good question! I’m always more concerned about the seller renewing at the last minute since buying an expired name on Go Daddy doesn’t always mean you get it.

    Reply
  • Anticareer.com September 11, 2012, 1:13 pm

    I’d hate to pay GoDaddy $17k and then a week later have them tell me they are going to refund it because the buyer renewed. Granted you don’t lose anything since you get your full refund, it is more of a hassle of the back and forth transfer for a good chunk of money.

    My suggestion to GoDaddy is that they take 10% down, if the buyer renews they refund you the 10%, if the buyer does not renew you pay the remaining 90%, and if you can’t/don’t want to pay the 90% then they keep the 10% as a default fee.

    Reply
  • trial September 12, 2012, 9:18 am

    http://www.ukc.com will be at sedo greatdomains auction this month. what do you think about this domain?

    Reply
  • FashionCode.Net September 13, 2012, 12:00 am

    I do think this is overpriced. No 2L.org is worth more that 10k.

    Reply
  • CPAC.Net September 14, 2012, 11:48 am

    Finished! Over 21k. Amazing.

    Reply
    • Morgan September 14, 2012, 4:15 pm

      I am quite surprised, but the deal is done, en.org for over $21,000!

      Reply
  • Lindon September 14, 2012, 6:31 pm

    AB.org for 10k is a steal.

    Reply
  • Joe September 21, 2012, 1:48 am

    En.org was renewed.

    Reply

Leave a Comment