Bruce and I had a blast at the Affiliate Convention today! Always great to be around other inspired and like-minded people. So much convergence between Domaining and Affiliate Marketing now that it feels like we’re amongst friends! Let’s face it, many Domainers shifted from parking to Adsense – but now they’re not making anything on Adsense. I’ve been a big affiliate guy for quite some time but have never thought of attending an affiliate convention…but I’ve got the bug now and this will definitely be the first of many I will be attending!
I learned more today than I thought possible and would like to give a HUGE thanks to all the amazing speakers at the convention! So – what better than to share what I learned with all of you (well not everything, but five things!) – so here are five things I learned today, some of which can probably help you make money with your own domains!
- Social Media Is KING (I knew this already but today it was solidified even more) – social media is slowly chipping-away at search as people are finding Twitter and FaceBook to be their most trusted sources.
- The #1 word used in 2009 was “Twitter” – the #2 word was “Obama”
- 36% of Internet users are viewing your site at a resolution of 1024×768 so if your blog, Twitter site, mini-site, etc. doesn’t look good at this resolution you might be missing-out on 36% of your potential clicks!
- Do a comparison on Alexa of Yelp.com vs. SuperPages.com – what you will see will amaze you
- One of my favorite quotes of the day (from Chris R. Curtis) “The Google generation is over – it is now the YouTube generation”
Okay so #5 was ONE of my favorite quotes of the day but not my favorite. My favorite quote from today is “In 6 months more content was added to YouTube than major networks have added in the last 60 years.” This once again reminded me why branding around .tv was a great move for me – this IS where the world is moving…and it’s moving quickly!
More to come tomorrow along with a video interview with Bruce that you won’t want to miss! Now we’re off to Beverly Hills with Jason from DNPimping to see Shock G from Digital Underground do the humpty – oh yeah!