As many of you know by now, Rick hasn’t been a huge fan of the new gTLD program, he sees a lot of the new domain extensions as junk and has warned investors to stop flushing their money down the toilet buying them. At the same time, Rick is a fan of .APP, which certainly has me paying attention since if Rick’s going to endorse a new gTLD, it really has to do a lot to win him over.
Today, Rick shared a fifteen point list of why he’s so bullish on .APP, and here it is:
- 3 letters. They did not reinvent the wheel
- It refers to something specific
- The specific thing it refers to is a huge moneymaker
- There is actually need, want, desire and demand
- There is steady growth
- It is backed by Google
- Thought of by Google
- Godaddy is the #1 Registrar which indicates end user adoption.
- You can make your fortune with an App and many have.
- It’s the only GTLD that Rick Schwartz actually took a risk and invested 6 figures in
- It’s 1 of only 2 new GTLD extensions that Rick Schwartz would even consider investing in
- The renewal rate will likely be higher than most other if not all other GTLD’s
- There is a rhyme and a reason for end users to use, adopt and notice .App
- Until .Web comes to market, .App will remain a steady grower.
- Most other GTLD’s mean nothing, are nothing and will always be nothing but worthless. Bills not assets. Liabilities.
Out of these fifteen points I was particularly interested in #10 – Rick has put six-figures of his own money into this new extension. Seriously, Rick hates pretty much every new gTLD but he put over $100k into .APP, that says a lot to me. Oh and the fact that it’s backed by Google sure doesn’t hurt.
I personally own three .APP domains and likely will buy more but I want to wait until the first round of drops happens since from my searching I’ve found that just about all the good ones are taken. Like most Domainers, I’m not the first to come up with a great domain, I just try to be the lucky guy who scoops up the name after someone else decides to let it go.
What do you think? Is .APP one of the only good new gTLD investments? I want to hear from you, comment and let your voice be heard!