Hello and welcome to MorganLinton.com! So who the heck am I and what is this blog all about…
My name is Morgan Linton and I started a Domain Investment company in 2007 that has turned into a passive income stream of over $5,000/month. I started out with the dream of making a few hundred dollars a month and have shared my adventures every step of the way right here on my blog over the last five years. Domain Investing is not my full-time job, I’m one of those lucky people that has an absolutely incredible day job that I absolutely love. I work for an innovative music startup and have spent the last seven years helping us build our business around the world.
Okay, so that’s who I am – now what the heck is this blog about? This blog is about my adventures in Domain Investing. I’ve always enjoyed sharing my successes, along with my failures with the world. From turning domain names into brands to selling domains to end-users it’s all on here. When many people encounter my blog for the first time they often get inspired and want to dive right-into Domain Investing, if that sounds like you, put the brakes on for a second.
Before you start reading my blog there are some very important things that you should know:
- Domain Investing Is Hard Work. There’s really nothing easy about Domain Investing. It’s a complex space and honestly does take years to learn. If you only have a few hours a week this probably isn’t the space for you. I say that you really need to spent at least 10 hours a week to do anything meaningful in the space.
- Pick A Path – Development Or Sales. If you’re just getting started, pick one path and stick to it. There are two main ways that people make money with domain names, developing and monetizing, or buying and selling. Each approach takes a long time to master and trying to learn both at once can be a recipe for failure.
- You Will Probably Lose Money Your First Year. Domain Investing is not a way to make money quickly. In fact, you’re first year you’ll probably need to be prepared to burn through a few thousand dollars learning the ropes. Yes, you could get lucky out of the gate, but don’t think of this as a way to supplement your income your first year in the business, think of your first year as your investment in the business.
- Read books, read blogs, attend conferences. Like I said there is a relatively steep learning curve to this business so you really have to become a sponge. Before you go on a domain buying spree take your time and learn the space. I highly recommend that you read my book before you buy any domains. By the time you finish my book you will understand what makes domains valuable, and how to get started developing or selling domain names. While this may sounds like a shameless plug, it’s not – my book has helped hundreds of new Domain Investors get started in this space and save thousands of dollars on wasted domain purchases. Attending conferences is the #1 way to fast-track your education in the Domaining world and are critical if you want to see long-term success in the space. The two largest conferences are DOMAINfest and TRAFFIC – attend one or both of these, they are absolutely 100% worth every penny.
- Sign-Up For My Newsletter. I write a monthly newsletter full of exclusive tips and tricks not shared on my blog. It’s completely free and I put a lot of time into making each issue incredibly valuable. Click Here To Sign-Up.
- Email Me Anytime. That’s right – I respond to every single email I get from my blog readers. You can visit my contact page to send me an email.
To help you get started the right way I’ve included some interviews below with some of the top Domain Name Investors in the world. If you don’t know much about Domain Investing I highly recommend you watch these videos as one of the first things you do to learn more about the space.
I hope you’ll make MorganLinton.com a daily read for years to come. I’ve been blogging for five years and plan to keep blogging for the next fifty years. So come along for my adventures in Domain Investing, I can promise it’s going to be a wild ride!