Do you remember CliffNotes? They were handy little books you could read that would summarize a much longer book. I think most people used them in High School when they didn’t read a book that was assigned to them and needed to cram for a test about the book.
As Domainers from around the world fly into Portugal, I know many of them are going to end up looking at the agenda at the last minute, or some, will just show up the first day and take it as it comes.
So I decided to put together some CliffNotes for you so you can quickly refer to this blog post and get a summary of everything that’s happening at NamesCon this week. Please note, I’ve left a lot of details out so when you find things on the CliffNotes that you want to do, make sure to go to the NamesCon Europe Official Agenda to get all the good stuff.
Now for you jet-lagged Domainers that are just getting into Portugal and ready to make the most of your experience – here’s your CliffNotes:
Thursday, June 20th
- 9:30AM – Pick up your badge, grab some coffee (you’ll need it!)
- 10:00 – 10:30AM – Opening talk with Braden and Monte
- These are always really good to go to IMO as they often set the stage for the entire conference, you flew all the way here, don’t miss the first talk!
- 10:30 – 11:00AM – Karn from Radix shares his journey in the Domain Name World
- 11:00AM – 11:20AM – Giuseppe from GGRG breaks down the ins and outs of liquid domains
- 11:20AM – 12:10AM – Some of the top domain brokers in the domain world talk about what to look for in a domain name broker
- 12:10PM – 1:00PM – Frank Schilling (the one and only, always a lot of great gems in Frank’s talks)
- 2:30PM – 3:30PM – Where to invest in the NTLD market
- 3:30PM – 5:00PM – Expert Roundtable (ask an expert all your burning questions)
- 5:00PM – 7:00PM – Right of the Dot Domain Auction
- 7:00PM – 9:00PM – Domain Auction Reception (i.e. relax and enjoy drinks with other Domainers)
Here’s a few additional tips for making the most of your first day at NamesCon Europe.
- Try to not be hung over for day one. This sounds like a silly tip but it’s true. I know how exciting it is to fly to a new city and be around a bunch of fellow Domainers…but you know what’s not fun, being hung over and trying to slog through a day and actually get value out of it. So get some sleep on the first day, you’ll thank me later.
- If you can, earmark the talks you want to go for the day before. If you’re reading this now you have a full day to make your selections. While you don’t need to feel guilty if you don’t go to every talk, you also shouldn’t miss every talk. Think of what’s relevant to you and pick talks that align with your interests.
- Don’t miss the opening night reception. The first night of the conference is a great time to catch up with old friends and make new ones. Everyone should be fresh and buzzing with energy, excited to talk domains. The energy level wanes with each day since conferences are exhausting no matter how you slice it, so the first night really is the best time to catch everyone (including yourself) while you’re at your best…unless of course you didn’t listen to my first tip.
- Drink lots of water. International travel is a lot more dehydrating than you’d think. You’ve spent a long time in a plane, you’re jet-lagged, you’re in a totally new environment, and you’re probably also drinking alcohol which dehydrates you. Drink more water than you normally would, once again – you’ll thank me later!
- Make at least one goal before the conference. If you’ve spent all the time and money to get out here, don’t walk in without a purpose. You don’t need a long detailed list of things, but have at least one goal for the conference that you can refer back to after the conference.
Okay, we’re official a day away from NamesCon Europe, it’s been a blast being in Lisbon for the last three days, tomorrow I pack up my Lisbon pad and move to Cascais, see you soon!