As many of you know my price range for buying domain names is typically between $500 – $2,000 however lately I’ve been looking to make a more sizable investment. Right now my budget is between $10,000 – $20,000 and I am looking to purchase one domain name. I will tell you some of the qualities I am looking for but as always, I’d love to hear advice from all of you as well.
We all look for different qualities in domain names but at the end of the day seeing a good return on investment is our shared goal. Below are the qualities I’m looking for, let me know if you think I should strike any of these from my list or if there is something I’m missing. Please avoid from turning this into a sales post where you try to sell me your domains for $10,000-$20,000 – I’m looking more for general qualities that I would look for in buying a name that falls within this range.
- Existing Income – The domain name would have to be making $xxx/month or more either parked or with a developed site on it. This is the one quality I’m not willing to budge on. I’ve built my entire business on income-generating domains and I’m not going to stop now.
- .COM – About 99% of what I’m buying this year is .COM domains, I think this is essential if I want the highest resale price for my investment. I’m not saying I don’t like .net or .org – I do, but if I’m going to put five-figures into a name it’s going to be a .com.
- Not a trend domain – Trends are great but they come and go, I’d like to stick with a domain name this isn’t based on a trend but instead on something that is here to stay for a very long time.
- One or two words – I have plenty of three-word domains, they are fine but in this case I’d really like to stick to one or two word domains names. They are easier to remember and brand and I think offer better resale value to end-users in many cases.
- Reasonable domain age – Maybe I’m just being picky here but I’m not very interested in a domain that was registered just a few years ago. Ideally I’d like a domain that was registered at least five years ago.
Okay, well there you have it. These are the main qualities I’m looking for in my $10,000-$20,000 purchase. Now it’s your turn – comment and let your voice be heard!