Well normally I would do this post on Saturday but I decided to spend a day away from my computer completely focused on my wonderful girlfriend. After traveling to frigid Boston last week there’s nothing like coming back to 80 degree weather in LA. While I had to wear a big jacket, gloves, and a hat just to be relatively warm I find myself cooking even in a bathing suit outside here in LA! Okay, enough gloating, weather definitely impacts your mood and to have a hot sunny weekend in December is awesome for a guy that lived on the East Coast for nine years!
Today I’ve spent the morning working and then we plan to hit the trail and head for a afternoon hike/jog. I learned a LOT this week and I can already tell 2011 is going to be one incredible year!
- If you are running a business it’s important to be strategic and not get stuck in the weeds being overly tactical. All too often we get pulled-into the tactical day-to-date and forget to re-surface and ensure we’re staying strategic. If you are to running a business this could be the difference between success or failure. Remember, you want to spend more time working on your business than in your business.
- Adding a directory to your site can dramatically lower your bounce rate and generate direct advertising interest. I am working on a directory for Kayaking.org behind the scenes right now. This will be unveiled to the public in January along with the roll-out of Kayaking.org v2.
- Bureaucracy can be a good thing but it can also dramatically slow progress if not executive properly. Seeing another ICANN meeting go by with no progress is a bit disappointing. It will be interesting to see how this organization develops over the next five years. The space is evolving so quickly I can’t help but think that ICANN will have to change to keep up…right?
- You really can’t beat LA weather!
- Virgin America really takes air travel to a whole new place, American Airlines does not. As you all know (or should by now) I travel a lot. It’s rare that I to experience an airline I haven’t tried before. I flew Virgin American to Boston and the entire end-to-end experience was incredible! I’ll be covering this more on my travel blog, Civilized Travel. I flew American back and was in an ancient plane with no amenities, really was like taking a plane there and a bus back!
- Domainers in Southern California are coming in full-force to our MeetUp next week. We didn’t know how many people to expect given that mid-December is a busy time for just about everyone. I am blown-away that we have 21 people confirmed – it’s going to be an incredible way to end the year!
- Domainers are embracing Facebook more than ever. I’ve seen this trend increase dramatically over the last year, it seems like we’re really at a new level now. There is a strong Domainer presence on Facebook, if you’re not interacting you’re missing out!
I hope everyone is having a great weekend and as always feel free to share what you learned!
Also – if you haven’t yet entered my Facebook Fan Contest make sure to enter it today! You could win a prize worth $499!